Kristin Lavransdatter! It was close there, until Danielle voted for it at the last minute. Anybody care to read along? At over 1000 pages, I expect it’s going to take me awhile.
PS: Heather – I would LOVE to read The Faerie Queene with you! I read some of it in college, adored it, and have been wanting to read the whole thing ever since. Nothing like waiting 7 years to complete that goal, huh? Since I will have a newborn in September, how does October sound to you? Anyone want to join in with THAT challenge?
And, since this fits kind of perfectly with Lesley’s Armchair Travelers challenge, and, as of the end of this month, I have no challenges going, I may as well join in as well! You know me; can’t resist a book challenge. Well, I resist a bunch of them, but it’s very hard. The goal is to read 6 books between July 1 and December 31, fiction and nonfiction are both fine. This will be great too, because I’ll get a few books off the mountain TBR! So without further ado, here are my 6 choices (and a few alternates!).
1. Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset – Fiction (Scandanavia)
2. Storyville by Dale Peterson – Nonfiction (America)
3. Without Reservations: The Travels of an Independant Woman by Alice Steinbach – Nonfiction (Europe)
4. Red Poppies by Alai – Fiction (Tibet)
5. Eleven Minutes by Paulo Cohelo – Fiction (Brazil)
6. Cloud Mountain by Aimee Liu – Fiction (California/China)
1. The Burning Times by Robin Morgan – Fiction (Ireland)
2. Save Me the Waltz by Zelda Fitzgerald – Fiction (The South)
3. Blue Latitutes: Boldly Going Where Captain Cook Has Gone Before by Tony Horowitz – Nonfiction (Pacific Ocean/South Pacific)
4. The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway (Cuba)
5. The Sex Lives of Cannibals by J. Maarten Troost – Nonfiction (Kiribati/South Pacific)
6. The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri – Fiction (India)
Should be fun! I can’t wait to get started!